Saturday, April 11, 2009

a chorus in 3 parts

I have always loved my spring birthday because it occurs just weeks after tulips begin their entrance through the cold winter soil and green buds have sprouted on barren trees. In my younger years it consistently coincided with Spring Break, meaning that we could celebrate with giant slumber parties without having to worry about schoolwork or staying up too late. This year I was particularly thankful for the timing of my birthday because it coincided with the RENT tour's arrival in Chicago.

Thus began part I of my 28th birthday (parts II and III to come). Some background. RENT has served as a constant obsession of mine for 5 years running: I own the movie, which I have watched countless times, and have been known to get different numbers stuck in my head for days. I know the original broadway cast and which members showed up to perform in which cities on tours. I know the story behind the musical--about Larson, his other work and his aims for the production of RENT. So when I heard RENT closed on Broadway (after 12 beautiful years!) and some of the original cast members had returned for their final U.S. tour I knew I couldn't miss them when in Chicago.

Charity offered a ticket for my birthday gift, as the first week of the Chicago tour overlapped with my special day. Jade accompanied me & we had an incredible time--the theatre was packed and full of energy (much cheering for favorite numbers & entrances of different characters). Roger and Mark were particularly fabulous (yes, the original cast members... meaning drooling definitely occurred).

Adam Pascal writes on his blog about the closing of RENT: "It means nothing to come and sit in a theater night after night and immerse yourself in fantasy, only then to walk out the door and be unchanged in reality. This show will live on in our hearts but where it truly must survive is in our actions, our compassion and our generosity of spirit towards one another."

Thank you, Charity, for this gift! And I encourage you all to catch the tour if you can!!

No comments: