Monday, January 31, 2011

Postcards from South Africa: 01.29.11

Daily postcard... from Drew! Featuring his department on U of P's campus.

So far I am really enjoying the University of Pretoria. The campus is beautiful, the faculty is stellar (and hilarious!), and the library has a great collection.  A large part of the library is being renovated through a Carnegie Foundation Grant for African Library Development.  The new space is specifically for graduate students and includes our own coffee shop. The renovation will be finished next month and I look forward to spending time drinking delicious South African espresso in this new section of the library (FYI -- there are 3 other coffee shops on campus so I am quite happy!).

The students in the theology department are mostly South African (or from Southern African countries) with several German, Dutch and South Koreans who have, like me, recognized the unbelievable value of studying in South Africa. Not only is tuition incredibly low compared to the UK/American schools, but the quality of scholarship is awesome. I am presenting my research proposal to the NT department tomorrow.

The culture of the school is also fascinating. Since apartheid ended, black students were finally able to attend college. Consequently, significant racial reconciliation had to take place. It is a beautiful image to see the future of Africa on a college campus, and their hipster culture cracks me up!

1 comment:

FPCW Work Trip 2013 said...

Drew, I LOVE that the section in the library devoted to grad students will have a coffee shop! Miss you and so glad you're doing well.