Saturday, January 29, 2011

Postcards from South Africa: 01.26 & 27.11


Back to our work week, 'tis true! But still remembering the freedom of the farm.


My current reading list. I finished Slow Man last night (thanks to Eric O. for introducing me to Coetzee). Though those Matlab books are at the bottom of the pile that is not reflective of their priority -- right at the top of the list! I try to read once a day, usually during my lunch break out on the patio. Delight!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photo - I like the library tape - the same the world over!

Unknown said...

what kind of food are you eating? are there big markets to buy veggies and meats? do you talk to people about how/what they cook?

Eric Owski said...

Slow Man. I'll have to check that out.

straitlet said...

Em, we mostly shop at grocery stores that are fairly similar to what we have in the States in combination with smaller specialty stores. The specialty stores carry one type of food (e.g., produce, butcher, bakery) and tend to have better prices. Food here (other than produce) isn't cheap!

Corn is a big staple and Drew got to try the a traditional cornmeal dish, "Pap," when we were out in the country. He said it tasted like crepes in a bowl. Also, biltong -- a kind of jerky -- is everywhere. Other common foods of note include bull tongue, Cadbury chocolate, and lots and lots of tea.

Unknown said...

Interesting! As we prepare for a blizzard who needs bread & milk - I'd prefer a stock of Cadbury's Nut & Raisin bars along with some tea and a daily dose of cabin fever Staitlet!