Sunday, February 15, 2009

Professor Strait & Other News

I've received a number of emails this week calling me "Dr. Strait" & I have to say, that sounds okay! As undergraduates prepare for Spring registration, my class, the Biology of Music, has been receiving some attention. I've spent this weekend finalizing the syllabus (including my late policy, grading scheme and the like)... and most of yesterday sifting through potential readings. Today I'm focusing on birdsong & ape drumming... oh joy.

It's difficult putting myself in the shoes of an undergrad once again... how much is too much reading? Which readings are most appropriate for this academic level? For the final paper, do I ask for 10 pages? 15? 20?? And putting together the lectures... here again my attention to detail returns to bite me in the hinny. Most of yesterday I spent searching the internet for cute images but today find myself wishing I had a few of those hours back to spend on lecture content... If I can get through 'part one' today I think I'll be satisfied with my progress.

In other news? Our Cuban friends are joining us for a big dinner tonight, as well as another friend of ours, Hope, who's working with me to coordinate refugee ministry at our church. There are just so many refugees attending now, I wish Drew & I had the time to get to know each of them in more depth! We celebrated two Congolese teenage girls' birthdays this morning after the service & their father (an extremely well educated, well spoken man) shared with the church his deep appreciation for the community they've found at Living Water. He said that he always believed that after death he would join in with people from all countries & of all skin colors to worshiping God without boundaries... to his surprise, however, he's been given the opportunity to do that even now. Never, he says, has he been part of such an undivided community, representative of people not only of different races/cultures but also of different economic & educational levels. This message made my heart sing. :)

No comments: