I am sorry to plague you with yet another election-centric post but I have been pained by the facebook statuses of many Christians today. I've read posts like "Ashamed of my country," "Obama will never be MY president," and "Who wants to move to Australia with me?" The fear is palpable among evangelical Republicans, who may now be wondering: "Did God's will fail?"
In the wake of this fear I have had a number of individuals ask: "Why, as a Christian, could you vote Obama?" For any of you who may be wondering this same thing, I share with you my reasons. If you have no interest feel free to wait for my next fluffy post, where I'm sure you'll see photos of kitties, puppies, my husband & enjoy stories about fun Chicago activities. If you have thoughts, I would love to hear them.
So here goes.
To be honest, it hasn’t been a joy to hear fromsome Christian Republicans over the past few months. I have felt very discriminated as a Christian serious about making a decision in accordance with my faith & deciding that this means my voting for Obama. I am a Christian, and I support Obama.
My first loyalty is to the Kingdom of God. As Christians we have a political duty first and foremost to the KOG. With this in mind, I believe Christ ushered in an ethical duty for Christians to give loyalty to both the Kingdom (extending beyond national borders) over country and Jesus’ example of non-violent resistance over military power (hence, why Christians wouldn’t enter the army until over 300 years after the death of Christ). I do not vote for Obama because I think he is the “most Christian.” I vote for Obama because I believe he has the most self-control (he’s a “thinker”) when it comes to retaliating against our enemies. In an age of nuclear war and extreme collateral damage to civilians in war (iraqbodycount.org), we need a leader who can think through the cost of pulling the trigger in contrast to the Bush doctrine. McCain’s infidelity in marriage and Palin’s lack of experience/education are also issues for me. Palin’s fundamentalist Christian beliefs are even more concerning (I'll refrain from going more into detail--the fundamentalist/pentecostal church would necessitate a post in itself!). I do not see Obama as the “perfect” candidate, but the lesser of two evils.
It might help in framing my decision for you to know that I no longer consider myself part of the “Evangelical” Christian movement. I am currently in the process (with my husband) of joining the Mennonite church, in the Anabaptist tradition. Peace and social justice are primary concerns in this tradition, believing that this aligns with Jesus’ life, message and the rest of scripture taken together.
Brian McLaren has posted some articles that I am in agreement with on his blog—the top 5 reasons why he is voting Obama. I’d love to hear your thoughts. The reasons are:
1. Mindset, especially in regards to foreign affairs & seeking reconciliation with our enemies:
http://www.brianmclaren.ne
2. Lack of honesty & humility among the Republican party: http://www.brianmclaren.ne
3. Caring for the “least of these”: http://www.brianmclaren.ne
4. Caring for Creation: http://www.brianmclaren.ne
5. A Note on Abortion: http://www.brianmclaren.ne
http://www.matthew25.org/ also provides a lot of articles that we’ve referred to in explaining our position. This is an online Christian community that endorses Obama for president.
I hope this helps explain my stance, although for those of you who disagree, I understand you have made your decisions with much thought & respect your convictions. In the end, our first loyalty is to the Kingdom of God, & this Kingdom transcends national borders. I have lived in countries plagued by unjust dictatorships & faced with threats of government-sponsored genocide. Governments, Christian or not, never equal the power of the church. And as a church, we will continue to love in the name of Christ--whoever our president may be.
2 comments:
Great post Dana.
Thank you for not whining!!! I am getting really tired of hearing it. I appreciate your Godly wisdom...
Post a Comment