Sunday, November 4, 2007

Latest Drew Update from the Dominican Republic: in the aftermath of Hurricaine Noel

I thought you would all like to know that Drew made it to Barahona--not on a plane as planned, however, but in a helicopter!! This was the only way for him to get there, as the buses are of course still not running & the planes are apparently unable to land as the runway & roads are still too wet.

I've spoken with many Dominican friends & heard updates from Drew. There are a number of staff members whose houses are indeed covered with water--clear over the roofs (nurses, housekeepers). Many have lost everything. I have heard many times how people "had no where to go except for their church," and from what I hear, the churches are packed! Innocencio & Julio's churches especially, from what I hear Most of the individuals evacuated from the bateyes are staying in staff members' churches. Los Robles was first reached yesterday, where the people were found, in a Dominican's words, "imprisioned." The 2 bridges providing entry to the community are down, and the area around them completely flooded. Contrary to my previous email forwarded from a COTN staff member, Thelma & Innocencio were not able to enter Los Robles, but only able to get to the entry bridge (which had been reached as early as Thursday by our nurse & others). They were met by a youth on the other side of the bridge who explained they were almost out of food & water, already having resorted to drinking filthy water, and needed help. Lucrecia & others eventually waded through the waters in desperation with food & water later that afternoon. I guess it was quite an adventure! Attempts to reach Los Robles Friday were thwarted by the truck getting stuck in the mud, but rains subsided today & Drew was able to make it out there again with others from the staff. Thanks to Alisa for getting us meds, etc.--he was able to have what she sent with him, as well as the nurse to help administer those necessary!

I have so much more to tell, but need to get some sleep. If you have specific questions, as I know many of you do, please feel fee to email. I know Los Robles was a concern for many of you, so there's more info! Many homes are, unfortunately, quiet destroyed but those on the hill above the school are in decent condition, just completely wet inside from the winds & rain. Crops are ruined for the year, which should go without saying... which means another financial blow that will affect them for quite a number of months. The staff is exhausted, but tirelessly plunging ahead to help all those they can.

As a final note, a Dominican told me today that God sent them Drew "to be a glass of coca cola in a hot, endless desert." I thought that was cute. ;-)

No comments: