Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cozy Ruski Shoes?

I woke up on time: bright and early to get in a few hours of studying for my Neuroscience PhD qualifying exams, but had an email in my inbox about a potential subletter for the time we're in Africa. She wants to swing by tonight so... I had to whip our "student home" (=books everywhere, dishes in sink, enough to make this clean freak go mad!!) into shape. One hour later and we are dusted, vacuumed, and clean kitchen-ed. PHEWF.

I told a friend yesterday: I think we need a nanny!!

Amidst all this, I need to find time to shop for winter boots. Being a no car family, it's not easy to make it to the mall (the city is full of darling boutiques, but for a decision like this I need options...). We were unsuccessful over the weekend, but this morning as I was scrubbing the stove a faded memory of Russian felt boots that a missionary friend of mine owned came back to life. What were those called again??

Five minutes of google searching and -- victory! Valenki. Totally clunky, but I hear they are the most comfortable boots known to man. You are meant to cut them down to the height you want using a simple pair of scissors. And the galoshes are removable for dry weather or indoors wear. Perfect for another frigid Chicago winter, perhaps?

2 comments:

Johnson Family said...

LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

How is the support in your Valenki's?