Saturday, September 18, 2010

Vague Update

There are weeks when I feel as though I have kept up on this here blog due to the amount of time I have spent absorbing the content of e-friends' blogs... design blogs, mommy blogs, crafty blogs, inspirational blogs written by simply "really cool" individuals... they make me feel like I've been bloggishly prolific. My actual blog tells me a different story. Sorry, you friends who remain.

Truth be told, I've being doing so much writing lately that there I times I feel like I might run out of words. Work has not been easy this year. There are many wonderful things (presentations, publications, grants, invitations, accolades, challenges with ridiculously short deadlines, and -- thank God -- an enjoyable relationship with my advisor). But... I've had to face some unfortunate social stress in my work environment. All together I am a lucky (busy) woman and I will learn from this. Because I am determined to learn from this.

And I will enjoy my last few years at Northwestern. THIS WILL BE FUN. I repeat this mantra daily.

I miss the Northwest. I miss the MOUNTAINS. Salt water. I miss my amazing, inspirational, crafty and absolutely hilarious best friends. I miss spare time. But even in the hardest moments I do not forget that this is a season. A season for hard work, determination, sweat & tears. During this season I am determined to choose joy, to love my husband, to give to my church and community, and to believe--to trust--that peace, quiet, and--I hope!--mountains lay just around the corner.

Specific update in list form:
- I have transferred departments. It took ~3 months from start to finish, but with the support of my two advisers I navigated the very political waters to slip out from the grasp of the School of Music and into the Neuroscience PhD program. This is good news for me on many fronts (particularly when it comes to future hire-ability), but requires that I take A SECOND ROUND of PhD comps. Because I wasn't crazy enough in the first place. Who takes PhD comps twice?? DANA LUCILLE HAMBLET STRAIT. That's who.

- Also on the professional note, I won a grant. A big one. One that makes me very proud. I'll be in school a bit longer because of it, but it's worth every second. Thank you, NIH, for my NRSA. This non-Ivy league educated, mid-level music major definitely didn't see that one coming.

- We spent a good 3 weeks in the gorgeous Pacific Northwest. I will post pictures--soon. Drew and I went from Chicago to Seattle to Olympia to Portland to Olympia to Spokane to Priest Lake Idaho to Spokane to Chicago. And, a la Chris Farley, it was AWESOME.

- I held two of my best friends' babies this summer. I already introduced you to Cami, but Maile gave birth to Adah recently and I will post photos soon! She's GORGEOUS.

- We have accomplished another summer of CSA organic veggie box-ing. And little has gone to waste. Also more on that later.

PhD, here I come.

No comments: