Monday, September 22, 2008

mmm-hmm

great weekend. good food, good friends, good conversations & good work completed. classes start Tuesday for the fall quarter. I'm trying to take it easy--meaning I'm taking a full load, but none of those crazy extra science courses that typically keep me up at nights. I'll be taking my quals sometime soon, so I'm writing away! And trying to secure meetings with my evasive advisor.

on another note, I received a disturbing "pro-McCain" email from a conservative Christian friend over the weekend. Not disturbing because it was pro-McCain (hey, we're all free to our views), but disturbing because it was laden with half-truths & evangelical/conservative propaganda. Do people really believe Obama is a Muslim? People, THINK for a minute! The fact that he has raised his children in Christian church and celebrates Christian traditions and makes Christian claims and has been known for decades as a Christian here in Chicago... well... really none of that matters. Because he's black & his middle name is Husain. And in saying the other week "I don't know why people still think I'm Muslim," people have distorted that sentence to say "I'm Muslim & don't get why people care." Watch the interview, people.

More of the email went on to say who cares if Palin has experience--she "loves God" and that's enough. Wow. Since when did we start electing Christians to the white house regardless of qualifications?? Oh, whoops. Sorry. My bad... Bush was elected twice. And that's sure does us a lot of good. Regardless, Palin's theology disturbs me more than her politics. The "de-gayification" rally held at her home church last weekend is just one example.

On another note, an Alaskan friend of mine wrote to share about a rally help by Alaskan women against Palin over the weekend. It was organized over coffee by a few friends and turned into quite the affair!
anti-palin rally

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Ethan said...

Oh Dana...

I am so happy that you didn't turn out to be one of the crazy ones.