Saturday, September 22, 2007

purpose

There are times when I question my own capabilities: my dreams are large, as is my heart. But I get tired. Very tired. I yearn for stability--to be finished moving around in order to complete degrees, to have the assurance of a steady paycheck for either Drew or myself... really, just one would do. I've got puppies on the brain, and I'm sure babies are next. But they'll just have to wait a bit longer. Up till now in my life I've had stronger skills in remaining patient, knowing that although we lack stability currently, we will eventually be so thankful for how years of hard work & perseverance bring incomparable opportunity. It takes time, effort & $$$ to develop skills, and it is an honor to have this opportunity to learn. Thankfully, hard work pays off.

I see African children frequently during my daydreams. They do not allow me to forget why I work. I've toyed with ideas of changing my career goals, but cannot remain satisfied with any other field for longer than a few days. Something about mental health calls me, and I cannot shake its grip. There is work to be done, and not nearly enough hands to do it. If I want something done, I feel I should do it myself I'm realistic to know that the work cannot be done by my hands alone, and it is likely I'll be able to touch only a small fraction of the lives affected by war trauma, but I will die knowing I've done what I could. This, my friends, is how hard work will pay off! Anyone care to join me?

We are in Spokane for the weekend. Being here I am again reminded of my love for the Pacific Northwest. The air is sweet, the trees full & the community the Straits have developed here is one of the most beautiful forces I've ever been a part of. Being once again with my parents reminds me of how much fun it is to be with them! We have very special people in our lives.

No comments: